Tuesday, February 2, 2010

new.

It's been a while. I tend to forget about this poor little blog for long periods of time, and then I come back and its all neglected and full of weeds and raccoons are living under the porch. My apologies.

I feel like things in life have been in a constant upheaval since I graduated in 2007. That's almost three years of what seems like constant change and discomfort, but I find it is actually bothering me less and less as time goes on. I suppose this is good, since in the last year almost everything has changed once again. This time, though, instead of panic simmering beneath the surface, I almost feel a sense of tired resignation. It's like my mind and heart finally realized that change is just going to come, no matter what, and I had better just deal with it or I'll go crazy. That's not to say that I am not excited about some of the change in my life, of course. But change of any sort, good OR bad, is hard on me. I'm happy that I'm finally learning how to deal with it, however slowly.

In the last year:
I got married.
I applied for grad school, was accepted into two schools, completed one quarter, and left the program.
I decided to apply for a completely different grad program at a different school.
I started a garden.
I left a job, started a new one, and am planning to leave it soon to go back to the first job.
I started baking our sandwich bread, and am working toward baking all of our bread.
Husband and I have tried a lot of new foods: I now eat squash, asparagus, any kind of bean, and Indian food (among other things).
We're starting to bike.
We went on our first camping trip (and got rained out!).
I've decided to become a vegetarian.
We're moving to a different city in a few weeks.
I went from working full-time to part-time.

So those are just some of the changes I've been dealing with! As you can see, there is a LOT of good in there. Most of it, actually. So I'm focusing on the good, and I'm learning to appreciate the unknowns of life. A year ago, I wouldn't have pictured myself in this particular situation, but I feel like I am headed in a great direction. I feel calm. And for me, calm is the feeling I have sought for a long, long time.


1 comment:

Ashlee said...

many changes over the last year for me too. i'm having a hard time focusing on the good. i know i'm where i'm supposed to be right now but i still feel a little lost. thankful that God has a plan bigger and better than anything i can think of.