Tuesday, October 28, 2008

albertine

Two posts in one day? Could it be true?

Yes. But only because my last post was long and I didn't want this second, and completely unrelated, post to get lost in the madness (madness. haha. get it, my last blog was on my fear of being seen as crazy... madness... get it? umm....).

Here's a song I've fallen in love with lately. It's by Brooke Fraser, off her CD Albertine, which is the only Christian CD by a female artist I think I have ever bought, and I seriously do not regret my purchase. I could write things about a few of her songs, but this one touches something in me. She wrote it about Rwanda, but her thoughts are so very similar to how I think of West Virginia, and how I know people think about Indonesia, or Ukraine, or India. 

Enough talking, here's the song:

"Albertine"

I am sitting still.
I think of Angelique
Her mother's voice over me
And the bullets in the wall where it fell silent.
And on a thousandth hill, I think of Albertine
There in her eyes what I don't see with my own
Rwanda

Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are

I am on a plan across a distant sea
But I carry you with me
and the dust on, the dust on, the dust on my feet
Rwanda

I will tell the world
I will tell them where I've been
I will keep my word
I will tell them, Albertine

No comments: