Wednesday, July 22, 2009

sunburns and fruit: two different "crisps"

Okay. It was sunny for a grand total of 40 minutes while I was outside today, and of course, I got sunburned. How does that even happen? If someone invents an injection I can get that will deliver sunscreen directly into my veins, I will gladly overcome my fear of needles to get it.

I made a dessert the other night that is quite possibly one of my favorite new things to make. I loved it so much that I made it again three nights later when we had our friend Bob come over. Bob liked it to, so it must have been a hit. It was based on a recipe found at Good Things Catered, but I couldn't find any cranberries so I used raspberries instead. It was amazing! I also cut down on the amount of sugar listed in the recipe, since raspberries are not as tart as cranberries and I didn't need so much to balance them out. Three tablespoons is a LOT of sugar. I don't like things that sweet, anyway. Oh man, I want to make it again RIGHT NOW.

Yum.

Here's the recipe, with my adjustments.

Apple Raspberry Crunch
Ingredients:
2 c. raspberries (I didn't measure, I just used the whole little container from the grocery store.)
2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
1 Tbsp granulated sugar (You could use more if you really wanted it sweeter)
1 c. oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 tbsp butter (1 stick), chilled

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with baking spray
2. In medium bowl, combine raspberries, apples, and sugar, and (gently) toss to combine. Spread in baking dish.
3. In another bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
4. Cut butter into small pieces and add to dry ingredients. With pastry blender (I just used a fork and knife. It worked.), cut butter into dry ingredients until all of the butter is in chunks about the size of a small pea. I wasn't super precise with this and it still turned out fine.
5. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the fruit.
6. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until apples are tender. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes, then eat!

No comments: